Monday, April 21, 2008

It's Reagan's fault!!!!

I went to something interesting today. The school is facing at least a 500k deficit in its budget, and money from the state doesn't look to be coming. The actual deficit might be 900k, but they're praying that's not the case.

Needless to say, there are going to be some cuts around here. I think a few of the jobs they were looking to fill are going to go unfilled and there was talk of cutting some courses with low enrollment or courses that weren't strictly necessary. I asked if that would affect retention and I got some response to the tune of "we don't want to affect students much."

What I should have asked was if we're facing a deficit, why is there an $8k television screen broadcasting nothing in the ATT? Eight grand is spare change compared to the size of the actual budget, but it does make me wonder the extent of this kind of thing.

You know who I blame? The state of Vermont. They sit there in Montpelier whining about how all the young professionals are leaving the state in droves, then they turn around and don't fund higher education. Nor do they support any industry that isn't farming or tourims related. Gee, I wonder why the population is aging? What's here for someone my age? Zilch, that's what.

Perhaps someone should write a letter to the government...

No comments: